Locations of modules: Moscow, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tel Aviv. In case of an unstable situation due to coronavirus infection and following restrictions, the structure of the SSE Russia EMBA program and the order of the modules may change. If the modules cannot be held in classrooms in Moscow or St. Petersburg, alternative locations will be chosen. For Modules 2 and 3, Serbia and Georgia have been selected as alternative locations.
The module is dedicated to the principles of team building, information exchange and establishing productive cooperation between the participants. You will train your critical thinking through the case method and in the process learn about decision making. The case method will be used as a vehicle for your learning in different modules of the program. You will be able to get to know yourself and find your place in the EMBA team and create a personal development plan. This creates the first steps towards your self-development and growth of personal potential
Basics of team building and group dynamics
Approaches to knowledge creation, critical analysis and interpretative skills
Individual and team value of systemic and systematic learning
Developing team creativity and collective decision making
As mangers, you need to understand the language of business and feel comfortable with tools that help you to evaluate business performance. After the module, you will be able to understand financial reports and to evaluate the profitability, financial position, liquidity and growth potential of any company. You will learn how to use key performance indicators in your business and you will touch upon the use of management accounting systems enhancing business excellence and supporting strategic decisions.
• Financial statements • Financial analysis • Management control systems • Strategic maps
During the module you will learn fundamental concepts of value and risk both of which are necessary for project valuation and investment decisions. You will examine how companies are financed and discuss optimal financing options given the company´s size, age, industry and other firm characteristics. You will also study global asset markets and learn how stocks and bonds are priced, evaluate general financial risks and specifically risks related to capital borrowing.
• Capital budgeting / investment analysis • Valuation of stocks and bonds • The relation between risk and expected return • Capital structure decisions and the role of futures and options.
You will become familiar with the notion that organizations can be seen through different perspectives and that to effectively lead and manage organizations all lenses are required. Visits to Swedish organizations will highlight the importance of sustainability, values and ethics in organizing. You will be exposed to different models of change with the purpose introducing you to the change process. After the module, you will be able to analyze organizational challenges in a more multiplex way. The module provides the base of the SSE Live Project, which focuses on an organizational change in that multiple lenses are required to analyze and lead change.
• Organizational perspectives as foundations of organizational design • Understanding of organizational culture through the lens of national culture • Conducting effective change and sustainability • Business ethics drawn from Swedish companies examples
During this module you learn how to create value for your customers and to grow value for your organization and stakeholders. You’ll focus on how to build a comprehensive eco-system and extend your knowledge about delivery concepts, models and tools and their managerial implications. You will further link operation strategy with marketing strategies and master the ability to align internal resources of a company with demands of the market. You also develop vision and understanding of customer value management concepts and methods of value design and value proposition.
• Lean and Agile management, to optimize flows and productivity in manufacturing and service operations • Operations and supply chain strategy to reconcile internal resources and capabilities with market requirements • What are markets and market strategy? • Marketing Communication
You will get acquainted with perspectives on strategy formulation and execution and become equipped with skills and tools to turn strategic ideas into actions. After the module, you will be able to create strategies for your businesses and improve business performance.
• Modern strategy perceptions. Formulating and following a strategy • Organizational conduct and evaluation of the capabilities and resources of the organization in light of strategic plans • Skills and tools required to move from idea to action • Improving business efficiency using strategy
The purpose of this module is to help you become a more effective leader. During the module you will apply relevant research based theory in cases, simulations, and exercises. After the module, you will be familiar with the main perspectives of leadership, fundamental principles of negotiations, as well as a greater confidence in your ability to analyze, understand, and plan courses of action for groups of people. The pedagogical approach is predicated on the belief that negotiation and leadership are malleable abilities that may be nurtured and developed; the benefit for participants will grow with their willingness to experiment and venture out of their comfort zone
• Studying mechanisms of influencing your interlocutor and negotiation techniques • Modern approaches to leadership • Examining the characteristics of an effective leader • Analysis of personal leadership skills and selection of tools for their developmentt
In this module, we present tools and frameworks for understanding macroeconomic developments and their effect on business.We will analyze the importance of a well-functioning institutional background which creates an “enabling environment” for the creation of wealth.The course is intended to give the non-lawyer participants an orientation into the components of business law and to provide a legal lens and foundation to enable the identification and analysis of legal issues that will arise in the day-today operations of any business operation.
• Analysis of macroeconomic factors and their impact on businesses and financial system as a whole • Resolution of trade disputes and The Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce • Actions to mitigate risks in developing investment plans, taking macroeconomic indicators under consideration • Legislation and established business practices as factors affecting the company's growth and success • Including global factors in local decision making
We will start the module with investigating the benefits of data analytics, data science and artificial intelligence and its strategies such as machine learning. In search of delivering customer value many companies leverage the data by designing innovative customer experiences. Business success is increasingly depending on the ability to meet and exceed customers´ expectations. Therefore we combine the data with design thinking that can help businesses to find ways to match customers´ needs in a way that is technologically feasible and viable enough to create value
• Artificial Intelligence in organizations and new forms of data analysis • Machine learning and neural network opportunities, data exchange within the organization and acceleration of information flows • Identification of hidden customer needs and problem reframing by using empathic design tools • Testing innovative ideas early in the innovation process by means of rapid experimentation tools
The module focuses on innovation as an essential factor of business formation, survival and growth. The module is provided by the Coller School of Management, Tel Aviv University, and includes lectures by academics as well as serial entrepreneurs, workshops, and company visits. You will get acquainted with an economic mindset that have turned the country into a world leader in many high-tech areas. You will be provided with methodologies of innovation and entre/intrapreneurship that can help you to transform good ideas into actual products and services that will create value for your company and the society as a whole.
• Entrepreneurship and innovation of startups and senior companies • Corporate entrepreneurship in light of information technology and digital business transformation • Innovation management as a tool for company renewal • Strategic innovations and breakthrough technologies
The elective courses of the program give you the opportunity to personalize your learning journey to your specific interests. For modules 11 and 12 you can make a choice of your own from the following electives (2023):
• Advanced Negotiations (English) Russia/Riga • Service Design (English) Riga • Advanced Accounting (English) Stockholm (topics of the elective to be announced later) • Advanced Finance (English) Stockholm (topics of the elective to be announced later) • Growth Marketing (English/Russian) Russia • Managing Digital Transformation (Russian) Russia • Project Management (Russian) Russia • Global Network for Advanced Management (GNAM) (June 2022, for GM22 only, choice from more than 50 business schools around the world). GNAM elective can be limited by availability of free spots in the respective schools.
We also offer participants possibility to take an additional third elective free of charge the first year after their graduation (not GNAM).
The first objective of the module is to reflect on the learning journey in the program and to develop the concept of long-life learning for the future. You will be given opportunity to reflect on your personal development during the program and your future. The second objective of the module is to integrate the program components in workshops related to strategy implementation, innovations and business modelling. Finally, we return to the SSE Live Change project and follow-up the implementation phase.
• Integration of acquired knowledge with practical experience of participants • Experience of learning in EMBA program
(**The list of modules can be changed on the rector's order)
In addition to improving your business and management skills, we offer a parallel course focused on your personal development. This course aims to personalize the program for each of you according to your specific needs. It consists of small parts that are blended in throughout the entire program. Each part focuses on some kind of a leadership skill that can be useful in business communication and negotiation: how to become more persuasive, how to make a presentation easy and memorable, how to prepare for public speaking, etc. This course is flexible enough to change its content depending on the requests and recommendations of the group. It also includes five individual sessions with certified coaches as well as a review of your personal tests that assess your personal potential. In each training module, you will be able to interact with your Program Director, who will give you comments on your current development process.
During the Leadership Intelligence track we provide diversity of skill seminars and workshops, group coaching and individual coaching.
This course is the most intense as it refers directly to your jobs. As a team player, you will have to choose among each others’ and analyze the chosen one in a very precise way. As a result, you will have to identify problem areas, propose your solution and implement it. This course is divided into two parts, the first of which is more application-oriented. You will develop not only a solution, but also ways to apply it, using materials obtained during the course. This first part will result in the report on the work done, pointing out the actual results as well as unpredicted problems that you had to face during the implementation phase. The second part is a summary of what has been done and transforming of it into a set of practical recommendations based on theoretical models, scientific knowledge, and facts. The final document that you will need to present in front of the qualification board in Module 13 will constitute the outcome of your training and contribution to the business’ development.
Our EMBA program is built around SSE Live Change Project. It aims at implementing a change in a real organization. It is important that the change adds measurable value to the organization, constitutes a real improvement and can be done within the time scope of the change project.
SSE Live Executive Master Thesis (SSE Live EMT)
You will generalize the knowledge acquired during the change project and put it into a broader research perspective. In the master thesis, you will develop a research question related to your change project and answer the question based on previous research and your findings.